NAGALAND POLICE FAQ - Nagaland Police Headquarters
In case of emergency, what should I do?
  • Call Telephone No.  100
  • Click on the Contact us button of the web site for Telephone Nos. of Senior officers, Zonal DCPs and Police Stations.
How will I register a complaint?

Go to the nearest Police Station (P.S.) and give a written or oral complaint to the Station House Officer (S.H.O). The oral complaint will be reduced writing to which the complainant signs. If it is not the jurisdictional P.S., necessary action would be taken to transfer the case to the respective jurisdictional P.S. for necessary action. In case of any difficulty in registering a complaint as above, the complainant may contact the jurisdictional/senior officers whose address and Telephone numbers are given in the Contact page.

What should I do if I have to pass any information about an offence or an accident?
  • Call 100 or 102
  • Call the nearest Police Station (Telephone number given in Contact page).
  • Call any of the Police Officers shown in Contact page.
  • Go to the nearest Police Station and inform.
How can I volunteer my services to the Nagaland Police?
  • By becoming a member in the citizens committee of your Jurisdictional Police Station. (For above please contact nearest jurisdictional police station for details)
  • By becoming the member of the neighbourhood Watch Committee. (For above please contact nearest jurisdictional police station for details)
  • By enrolling yourself as a Special Police Officer. (For above please contact nearest jurisdictional police station for details)
  • By enrolling as a member in the Traffic Warden Organisation.
What should I do if I find a Child in distress?


  • Call ABC(Child helpline)-1098 (tollfree)
  • Inform the nearest Police Station.
How can I help a women in distress?
  • Call 181 (toll free line)
  • Inform the nearest Police Station.
What help can a foreigner expect from Nagaland Police?

In case passport, Visa or consular issues kindly contact FRRO at the below mentioned contact details.


What should I do in case of loss of a vehicle?

Register a complaint in the nearest police station with all details and relevant documents. Later be in touch with the Police Station and lost and found vehicles page on this Website.

What is an F.I.R?

F.I.R. means First Information Report, made to police, about commission of a cognizable offence, In effect, it amounts to putting law in to motion by giving information relating to the commission of a cognizable offence to an officer in charge of a police station, (which shall be reduced into writing and read over to the informant) and shall be signed by the person giving such information. It is mandatory to give a copy of the first information report (as recorded by police) to the complainant or informant free of cost.

How do i lodge F.I.R?

The informant/ complainant should go to the police station having jurisdiction over the area (where the offence is committed) and report to officer in-charge/ station house officer about commission of a cognizable offence. In case information is given on telephone, the informant / complainant should subsequently go to the police station for registration of F.I.R.

What is a cognizable case or what is cognizable offence?

A cognizable case means a case in which a police officer may, in accordance with the First Schedule of Cr.P.C. (1973), or under any other law for the time being in force, arrest without warrant.

What is the meaning of the term taking cognizance?

The term ‘taking cognizance’ has not been defined in Code of Criminal Procedure. When any Magistrate takes cognizance under section 190 (1) (a) Cr.P.C., he must not only have applied his mind to the contents of the petition, but he must have done so for the purpose of proceeding in a particular way as per procedure prescribed in the Cr.P.C., and there after sending the complaint for further enquiry. A magistrate can also order investigations under section 156(3) of Cr.P.C.

What is a Non cognizable offence?

Non cognizable offence means in which a police officer has no authority to arrest without warrant.

How do I lodge a NC complaint?

Information about such offences is to be given in a similar manner as explained under F.I.R. The officer in-charge would reduce the complaint in writing (about commission of Non cognizable offence) and give a copy thereof to the complainant free of cost. No police officer can investigate a non-cognizable case unless he obtains prior permission of a Magistrate having power to try such case.

What is meant by a complaint?

Complaint means any allegation made orally or in writing to a Magistrate, with a view to his taking action under the code of criminal procedure (1973), that some person (whether known or unknown), has committed an offence.